L2G20 V-(으)려던 참이다 grammar = was just about to ..., was in the middle of …
- Express that the speaker is intending to do something being suggested or is just about to do it very soon.
- V-(으)려던 참이다
1. 저 영화가 재미있다고 하는데 저 영화를 볼래요?
- 좋아요. 그렇지 않아도 나도 보려던 참이었어요.
I heard the movie is interesting, so do you want to see it?
- Sounds good. Even if you hadn't asked, I had been planning to see it anyway.
2. 뭘 하고 있어요?
- 배가 고파서 라면을 끓이려던 참인데 같이 먹을래요?
What are you doing?
- - I am hungry so I was just about to cook some noodles. Do you want to have some together?
3. 얼굴 표정이 왜 그래요?
- 피곤해서 잠깐 쉬려던 참인데 사장님이 들어오셔서 당황해서 그래요.
Why do you have such a surprised face?
- I was tired and about to have a break, then the president came in and I was taken by surprise.
4. 수지 씨 뭐 하고 있어요?
- 커피를 마시려던 참이었는데 같이 마실래요?
What are you doing Suzy?
- I was just about to have some coffee, so would you like to have some with me?
5. 더우니까 문을 좀 엽시다.
- 그렇지 않아도 문을 열려던 참이에요.
Let me open the door since it’s hot.
- Even if you don’t say so, I am just about to open the door.
6. 시간이 없으니까 좀 서두릅시다.
- 그렇지 않아도 지금 나가려던 참이에요.
I don’t have time, so let’s hurry.
- Even if you don’t say so, I am just about to leave now.
7. 한국 요리를 배우려고 하는데 같이 배울까요?
- 좋아요. 저도 한국 요리를 배워 보려던 참였어요.
I am planning to learn Korean cuisine, shall we learn together?
- It’s great. I was also thinking about learning it.
8. 급한 일이 생겨서 약속을 미루려던 참였어요.
Since I have an urgent work, I was just about to postpone the appointment.
9. 버스를 타려던 참에 그를 만났다.
As I was just about to get on the bus, I met him.
10. 안 그래도 전화하려던 참이었어.
I was just about to call you anyway.
1. -(으)려던 참이다 = the speaker was just about to do the action; -(으)려던 참이었다 = the speaker had already been intending to do the action.
E.g. 지금 그 책을 사려던 참이에요. -- I am just about to buy that book now. (at the moment of conversation)
그 책을 사려던 참이었어요. -- I was just about to buy that book. (before the time of conversation)
2. Phrase 마침, 그렇지 않아도, and 안 그래도 can be used with the expression to express that the speaker had already intended to do the action.
E.g. 같이 식사할래요? - 마침 밥을 먹으려던 참였어요.
3. -(으)려던 참에 is used when another clause is followed.
E.g. 내가 전화를 하려던 참에 어머니가 전화를 하셨어요. -- When I was about to make a phone call to my mother, I got a call from her.
Comparison between -(으)려고 하다 and -(으)려던 참이다
1. -(으)려고 하다 : action can be done from now (지금), near future (오늘, 오후), and distant further (담 달, 내년)
2. -(으)려던 참이다: action can be done from now (지금) and near future (오늘, 오후).
L2G20 V-(으)려던 참이다 grammar = was just about to ..., was in the middle of … Reviewed by Korean Topik on 3/13/2017 Rating: