- Express a change in state over time = to get/become A
좋다 --> 좋아지다 (to become good)
따뜻하다 --> 따뜻해지다 ( to become warm)
길다 --> 길어지다 ( to become long)
*다르다 --> 달라지다 (to become different)
*빨갛다 --> 빨개지다 (to become red)
*덥다 --> 더워지다 (to become hot)
1. This expression is only used with adjectives (A-아/어지다). In case of verbs, V-게 되다 is used instead.
2. The past tense 아/어졌어요 expresses a change resulting from an action in the past while the present tense 아/어지다 is used to describe a change that generally occurs when a particular action is performed.
케이크를 많이 먹어서 뚱뚱해졌어요.
I ate a lot of cake, so I have become fat.
케이크를 많이 먹으면 뚱뚱해져요.
If you eat a lot of cake you will become fat.
3. V-아/어지다 (= to get V-ed) is used as a passive form, not to express a change over time. See L2G30 V-아/어지다 grammar.
1. 풍건이 커졌어요.
The balloon became bigger.
2. 다이어트를 한 후에 날씬해졌어요.
After having diet, I have become thin.
3. 매일 운동하면 건강이 좋아져요.
If you exercise everyday, you will become healthy.
4. 피노키오는 거짓말을 하면 코가 길어져요.
Pinocchio's nose grows longer when he tells a lie.
5. 아이가 였을 때 몸이 약했는데 지금은 건강해져요.
I was weak at when I was a child, but now I have become healthy.
6. 가을이 되어서 날씨가 시원해져요.
When autumn comes, weather becomes cooler.
7. 화가가 멀어요?
- 옛날에는 멀었는데 이사해서 가까워졌어요.
Is your company far away?
- It used to be, but I have moved so it has become closer.
8. 날씨가 많이 추워요?
- 비가 오고 나서 추워졌어요.
Is the weather really cold?
- After the rain, the weather got cold.
L1G66 A-아/어지다 = to get/become A (~express a change over time) Reviewed by Korean Topik on 4/14/2019 Rating: